What's in a Name Like Sewanhaka?
The name from Sewanhaka came from the High School were the Squadron was first formed. The word Sewanhaka came from the industry carried on by the Indians in the manufacture of beads and other ornaments made from shells found abundantly in this part of the Island. The Algonquin people bestowed upon us three principle words, each beign derived from this industry. They are mientanawack, seawanhackay and pnumanack. The first meaning the material used, the second the finished article ready for sale, and the last the tax or wampum, which they were obligated to pay. The name does not seem to be general, but came from the Dutch trade. The prefix "sewan" means scattered or loose, and was the term used by the Dutch for wampum. The term "hacky" means land for country. Sewanhaka is often translated as the "Island of Shells", but neither word actually can be evolved from the name. The name is recorded in three Indian deeds of the first purchase of land made by the Dutch from the Indians of what is now known as Kings, Queens, and Suffolk counties, on June 16, 1636, and "Situate on the island called Sewanhacky or Seawanhacking". The variations of spelling and pronunciation are Seawanhacky, Seawanhacking, Sewanhacky, Seuanhacky, and modern Seawanhaka. The Squadron burgee was desinged by P/C John Brower, N. The arrow signifying our Indian name, encompassed by a cricle with one horizontal and one vertical line bisecting the circle representing the four cardinal points of the compass, signifying our nautical heritage. Sewanhaka is convienently located in central Nassau County and it's membership is made up from the North Shore to the South Shore of Long Island. Membership is open to anyone.